I'm Brazilian, I've always loved music and since I was little I buy and I listen to rock. During the 70's I met a magazine called Pop, which I christened German Pop, since it was of Germanic origin, I did not understand what was written in the great majority, but it was there that I met the groups that I publish here on the blog today. Rock made in Germany is one of my favorites, but my taste is very eclectic.
Sou brasileira, sempre amei música e desde muito pequena compro e ouço rock. Durante os anos 70 conheci uma revista chamada Pop, que batizei de Pop Alemã, uma vez que era de origem germânica, eu não entendia o que estava escrito na sua grande maioria, mas foi ali que conheci os grupos que hoje publico aqui no blog. O rock feito da Alemanha é um dos meus favoritos, mas meu gosto é muito eclético.
quarta-feira, 27 de dezembro de 2017
Island - Pictures 1977 (Switzerland, Krautock, Symphonic Prog)
On their sole album PICTURES, which was aptly as gloomy and as strange as H.R. Giger's visionary cover art, Island's music oozed invention. Often quoted as the Swiss Van der Graaf Generator, Island had a similar feel, with a very odd instrumentation for a rock band and a vocalist who sounds like a hybrid of Peter Hammill (with a German accent) with a few Peter Gabriel touches. They were by no means copyists however, like Berlin's acclaimed Van der Graaf Generator: Metropolis, Island had all sorts of unique elements at play, full of gloom and sinister lyrics. PICTURES has justly been acclaimed as one of the masterpieces of Swiss rock.
Since Island's demise Peter Scherer moved into the fusion field, and later recorded an album together with American jazz experimentalist Arto Lindsay. Actually PRETTY UGLY (LP/CD Made To Measure MTM 23) from 1990 turned out to be a surprising blend of high-tech electro styles, and not all what one would expect!
- Benjamin Jäger - lead vocals, percussion
- Güge Jürg Meier - drums, gongs, percussion
- Peter Scherer - keyboards, pedal-bass, voices crotales
- René Fisch - sax, flute, clarinet, triangle, voices
1. Introduction (Peter Scherer) - 1:26
2. Zero (Peter Scherer) - 6:07
3. Pictures (Peter Scherer/Benjamin Jäger) - 16:43
4. Herold And King / Dloreh (Peter Scherer/Güge Jürg Meier/Benjamin Jäger) - 11:49
5. Here And Now (Peter Scherer/René Fisch) - 12:08
Bonus track on cd release:
6. Empty Bottles (Island) - 23:27